How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37851
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im just curious, i was given a written arrest about two

Customer Question

Hi! Im just curious, i was given a written arrest about two weeks ago for misdemeanor procession, this is my first offense. I have court on the 15th, should I get a lawyer? Im 18
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Florida, and on August 20th
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just the paper he gave me with the two charges for less than 20 grams and my grinder. He told me i would not need a lawyer but I am unsure.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Possession of less than 20 grams of cannabis under FL law, on conviction, can result in a fine of up to $1000 and up to a year in jail. While jail is highly unlikely as a first offense penalty, this is a Misdemeanor and you do not want a misdemeanor drug charge on your permanent criminal record.

Yes, you really do need an attorney to represent you and hopefully negotiate a plea down the road that will allow you to avoid the conviction and the permanent misdemeanor criminal record. Florida has what is called Deferred Adjudication that you may well qualify for. What this will mean is that you will probably pay a fine, have a period of time that you are on informal probation---probably for a year----and if during that year you avoid any other criminal violations, you can have the charges dismissed and that will mean no misdemeanor conviction on your record.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

I sense that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?