Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I recently found out one of my coworkers is on the sex

Customer Question
offenders list for rape.i work...
I recently found out one of my coworkers is on the sex offenders list for rape.i work in a small warehouse full of men. My female supervisor knew he was a sex offender, and chose not to inform me, now i no longer feel safe being at the warehouse with this guy if no one else is present. I work for a delivery company. And we come and go at the warehouse at diffrent hours. Do i have the right to be warned of this? Why was my safety not as important as my supervisors?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/31/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this, M. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

The basic fact is that no federal or state law mandates that employees be warned by management that another employee is a sex offender. So, no such law exists, and thus no duty exists for the company to announce this information. I am sorry. They can choose to disclose it, but do not have to.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the You SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law