How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27428
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recieved a ticket yesterday in island ny for an expired

Customer Question

i recieved a ticket yesterday in long island ny for an expired florida registration it was expired for 2 years
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: the car is registered in Floraida and the ticket was in NY
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


Was your ticket for VTL 401? Was your car impounded?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it was impounded but received a ticket for not registered
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what happens and what is fine now
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Your answer isn't clear. I asked if it was impounded and you said "No, it was impounded." Did you mean it was NOT impounded.

Was the ticket for VTL 401? Is there a fine you can pay or must you appear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOT impounded and yes I would have appear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me get more info on ticket actually my wife received it
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

If your registration has been expired for more than 60 days, the fine will range from anywhere from $70 to $300. That doesn't include court costs and the state surcharge. The judge will determine the fine in court.

This is a traffic infraction. It is not considered a moving violation and does not carry any points, but there is a possibility of up to 15 days in jail. While I don't see that happening or the police would have arrested you in the first place, it is something you should know about.

If you cannot appear because you're going back to your home state, you can likely have a lawyer appear on your court date and dispose of this case for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.