How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2170
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just wanted to preface my question with the following:

Customer Question

Hi, I just wanted to preface my question with the following: this is going to be a seemingly odd request. However, I may have a case. There's a female author who published a book titled "Shattered Innocence," and the main character and I share the same name. Some of the similarities between myself and the main character are uncanny. However, the main character in this book is a high-end escort. I am the most uptight person you will ever meet and would be a god-awful prostitute. That of course is beside the point. I have yet to read the book in its entirety. It seems like a poorly written romance novel, please find a link to a brief synopsis here:
However, when I do read this horrible book; if I were to bring the book to a lawyer and demonstrate that the main character and plot was in some respects inspired by my life (minus the prostitution thing of course); could I have a viable defamation case on my hands? I appreciate any information you may be able to provide.
Best Regards,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
That is very strange. I think it would be very difficult to pursue such a case unless you have evidence of intent by the author to defame you.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
Secondly you have to prove damages ie some financial impact that you have suffered from as a result.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
The only other possibke claim could be misappropriation of your likeness but again you need proof of intent.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Does that make sense? We can discuss further by phone as well but there are additional charges.