How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3154
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just wondering what my legal options are as far as

Customer Question

Hello I was just wondering what my legal options are as far as being able to get my personal belongings such as my furniture and an engagement ring back from an ex girlfriend she was being unfaithful So I had to break the engagement and move out and now she is unwilling to give my things back
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 11 months ago.

Hello Customer,

Engagements rings are considered gifts in contemplation of marriage. This means that if the engagement is broken off due to no fault of the man, the man is entitled to a return of the engagement ring. Since it was her who was being unfaithful, it was her fault that the engagement was broken, and thus, you are entitled to the ring back. You are entitled to bring a civil lawsuit against her for return of the ring.

Similarly with respect to your personal belongings, if these were not gifts to your ex, you are entitled to bring a civil lawsuit for these items as well.

Perhaps you should write to her explaining that you intend to commence a civil lawsuit against her for the return of all the items if they are not returned. This will probably scare her a little bit as no one wants to be involved in a lawsuit.