How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering which lawyer I am supposed to consult with

Customer Question

I was wondering which lawyer I am supposed to consult with when I am accidentally charged with sexually related crime. Actually I am a small business owner and today while
fussing with a suspected shop lifter I accidentally touched her private area in the groin where I thought the person hid my store item in. The girl was also dressed like a man even with a fake man's penis. The problem was that the person did not hide anything and I ended up being in charge of sexual harassment. So which lawyer should I consult with in this case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a family lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience and also have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues. I look forward to helping you today. At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me, as I am not an employee of this site but an independent contractor, so that's the only way I get credit for my time here today—this is at no extra cost to you.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. You are advised to retain your own attorney.

Can you please tell me what state you're in? It's not showing here. Also, you indicate that they are going ahead and charging you with a crime? There are criminal attorneys who specialize in sex crimes.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

If you let me know generally where you are, such as a big city near you, I can find attorneys for you who specialize in sex crimes. This could be considered a civil wrong rather than criminal, but you listed it as a crime so you would need someone familiar with criminal court proceedings. Some attorneys are listed as criminal lawyers but some are specifically listed as doing sex crimes. If you'd like me to find lawyers in your area, I can do that for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is***** am another expert on the site - your prior expert opted out, this sometimes happens, and I hope to assist you today.

I agree with the prior expert that this can be either a civil or a criminal matter (and sometimes is both), but again, as you have listed this as a a "crime" and because dealing with potential criminal charges is usually far more important than trying to defend against a civil suit (which usually is not filed until much later), I would recommend that you start there.

So, start by looking for a criminal defense attorney.

If you can find one that specializes in sexual assault, that would be preferable, but is not required.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly - but I have found that when working with AVVO it is important to actually visit the attorney's actual firm website to contact them rather than using the AVVO link).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help!
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service (the series of 5 stars next to the chat window) so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "ForCustomerquot; and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.