Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My granddaughter at age 16 was put on birth control pills.

Customer Question
The doctors advized her it...
My granddaughter at age 16 was put on birth control pills. The doctors advized her it would be ok to take pills continually with no week off for her period. She has been informed that her uterus lining has come off. Today we suspect she has had a miscarriage. She is now 19 and has been to the doctor several times because of unusual bleeding/cramps. I believe she was not given proper advice at a very young age and has been told she cannot have children. Do we have a lawsiut case against the doctor and pill manufacturer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/29/2016
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Hi again. Thanks for your patience.

Q: Do we have a lawsiut case against the doctor

A: Your granddaughter does have such a case if the advice she was given amounts to malpractice. In a nutshell, in order to win a malpractice lawsuit, the plaintiff must prove that the doctor did not provide the required standard level of care that he should have provided under the specific circumstances. Simply put, would a reasonable doctor in the same circumstances have given the same advice to your granddaughter. If the answer is yes, then there was no malpractice, but if the answer is no, then there was malpractice if the poor advice was the cause of your granddaughter's current condition.

Q: and pill manufacturer?

A: Your granddaughter would need to prove that the pills were taken as directed by the pill manufacturer, that the pills caused her current condition, and that there was no disclaimer of any kind for this situation and that the pill manufacturer should have known that this could happen.

My suggestion is for your granddaughter to visit a new doctor for an opinion as to the cause of her problems. This is important because in order to win a lawsuit of any kind, she will need to have an expert witness who will testify that in the expert's opinion, the doctor or pill manufacturer caused the problems. If the new doctor confirms your suspicions, then she should retain a local litigation attorney to investigate further and file a lawsuit as necessary.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney