Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

The Justice of the Peace mailed a judgment against me in my

Customer Question
case in St. Tammany Louisiana...
The Justice of the Peace mailed a judgment against me in my case in St. Tammany Louisiana and the other party filed for a "review de novo" 50 days after the Justice mailed the judgment. I paid the judgment 10 days later with interest but the other guy did not cash the check. How long a time period can the other side appeal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/29/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

A party has 15 days from the entry of (or mailing of) judgment from the Justice of the Peace to file a motion for trial de novo. See: http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2009/ccp/ccp4925.html

However, you must file an opposition to the other party's motion - this can be as simple as citing the above code section and stating that the motion is untimely, but you must file an opposition.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney