Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I am an allergist. I believe traditional allergy testing is

Customer Question

I am an allergist. I believe traditional allergy testing is missing many allergies. I have developed a test for delayed type hypersensitivity to allergens and have found that many patients have this type of reactivity (not mediated by IgE antibodies...which is what a traditional test looks for). I want to start these patients on allergy shots. I would like to offer them a 6 month free trial to see if it works. If so, I would like to bill these patients directly (not the insurance company) for the allergy serum. I would explained to them that their insurance company would consider this experimental or even fraudulent. To be clear, I would not bill the insurance company, only the patient. I believe this is completely legitimate and legal but was hoping for some advice.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you just need to have a strong waiver of claims clause in what they sign. They need to understand the inherent risk in an experimental treatment. They also need to understand that they will not be covered under most standard insurance policies. You can add language that says you will provide reasonable assistance to the patient if they were to attempt to solicit preapproval from their insurance company, but payment will ultimately be patient's responsibility.

If you have any additional questions just let me know otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.