Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What is a letter of administration? florida, no, my husband

Customer Question
what is a letter of...
what is a letter of administration?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: my husband is deceased, the car is in his name only and I'm having a time getting it transferred in my name.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Florida, 2011
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/29/2016
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

Letters of Administration are what give an executor (what Florida calls a "personal representative), which is a person named to settle a decedent's estate, the authority to act. When a petition to administer an estate and appoint a personal representative is filed in Florida, the court will issue the personal representative "Letters of Administration" that they can then use.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

There may be an easier way to do this though in Florida, if this is the only asset --without having to probate the estate.

If your spouse's name was on the title alone, and he left a Will, and the Will leaves all personal property to you, leaves the car specifically to you, or simply leaves everything to you (“all of the rest, residue and remainder” or similar wording) take the original title, original Will and a certified copy of the death certificate to the tax collector’s office and they will help you change the title. If the Will has already been deposited with the Clerk of Court, take a certified copy of the Will. Just go to the courthouse and ask for the probate clerk and he or she will be able to make you one.

RobertJDFL, Attorney