Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My partner left our business 1 1/2 years ago. Did he breach

Customer Question
his fiduciary duty? what else...
My partner left our business 1 1/2 years ago. Did he breach his fiduciary duty? what else did he breach?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: like....?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/29/2016
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Walking away from a business partnership would not legally constitute a breach of fiduciary duty, in and of itself. There is no law that says a partner has to devote any particular amount of time to the business. You would have to provide many more facts before a lawyer can tell you if there is any actionable conduct on the part of your partner.

Do you wish to continue the discussion here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just made a tentative agreement.
I am just buying the company with no assets and or liabilities.
I will be paying with some management duties and royalties. We are in Ca;ifornia.
We need a document to finish the agreement.
Can you help?

I am sorry, but we are not permitted to perform legal services for our customers such as preparing an agreement to purchase a business. I can only provide information in that regard, and I would need to do through the telephone contact that was offered previously.

Tina, Lawyer