TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Second opinion] - 3 "vigilantes" acting without Condo Board

Customer Question

Second opinion] - 3 "vigilantes" acting without Condo Board approval vandalized and destroyed community assets by willfully removing 3 ea 50 lb custom made cast concrete and granite memorial
blocks and the memorial tags affixed thereto. The perpetrators then flaunted their act as
self justified at a subsequent Condo Board meeting without impunity, claiming that they
had not committed a crime since they acted in broad daylight in view of witnesses.
An accomplice did relate to respective owners in the Condo, that their action was OK
as they had the (false) authority to act since the item in question were falsely deemed
( by them) as"Yard Art." The Condo Board has taken no action in this egregis case which
has murdered the integrity and trust of the board and threatens the tranquility of all.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1. I have it that, yes there was a crime committed due to the fact that items were removed without permission. Correct?
2. Given the $1200 - 1300 value of the items stolen and vandalized what category of prosecution is warranted ? Felony ?
3. The detective branch of the police in Virginia Beach is excellent and is ready to receive and review depositions, in this
case to prosecute. What is the next legal step ?

Hi again.

A: Certainly the fact that removal occurred in broad daylight in front of witnesses does not in any way justify the act or undo the fact that a crime was committed. Simply put, willfully taking property of another without consent, with the intent to deprive the owner of the property, is theft.

A: Since the value of the items stolen are more than $200, it would be grand larceny. It is generally prosecuted as a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not less than one year and not more than 20 years in the discretion of the court.

3. The detective branch of the police in Virginia Beach is excellent and is ready to receive and review depositions, in this case to prosecute. What is the next legal step ?

A: If the condo association owns the items that were taken, then the board needs to file a police report and ask that the offenders be prosecuted. That is the next step.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.