How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Shannon Llenza Your Own Question
Shannon Llenza
Shannon Llenza, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12
Experience:  Principal Attorney at Llenza Immigration Law LLC
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Shannon Llenza is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a military spouse seeking divorce. Married 34 1/2 years

Customer Question

I am a military spouse seeking divorce. Married 34 1/2 years and 17 of which he was active duty. Some reason the idea of me totally giving up my medical benefits just isn't sitting well with me. Do I have any recourse?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes, however I understand not all are familiar with military law.
JA: What advice did they give you? Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: All that I am entitled to is one year of benefits after the divorce.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Shannon Llenza replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is***** and I am an attorney with over 15 years of experience. From what you are saying it looks like your husband only has 17 years of military service? If that is correct, then it looks like you do not fall under the 20/20/20 or 20/20/15. Your only option is to receive health care coverage through the DoD Continued Health Care Benefit Program. This is a premium-based temporary health care coverage program, for 36 months of coverage until alternative coverage can be obtained. Further information about this program can be found at If you are working with a family law attorney, I would try to negotiate that your former spouse pay the cost of this program. In the alternative, if you can wait three years, you will be in a much better position, because you will fall under the 20/20/20 rule in which an un-remarried former spouse receives medical, commissary, exchange and theater privileges under the Morale, Welfare and Recreation program. Let me know if you have any further questions for me!

Expert:  Shannon Llenza replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I just want to follow up to see if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, if you can please rate me, I would appreciate it. My compensation is based on your rating of my services. You can continue to ask questions after you rate me. Thank you!

Expert:  Shannon Llenza replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I just wanted to follow up to see if you had any further questions or issues. If so, please let me know! Thank you.