How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27594
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need transcripts of text messages from a phone on my

Customer Question

I need transcripts of text messages from a phone on my account
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. Can you share with me why these are needed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I pay for my granddaughter's phone. I she has lived with me for 18 months and I have no custodial rights.She has been dating a boy that we (her parents, the school she attends, her grandfather and I) believe is providing her with drugs. He has physically abused her. We have some pictures but not direct hard evidence to link him to it. We also believe that he was driving when 2 of our cars were totaled with in 6 days. She told the police it was her driving. Anyway, we need some hard evidence. I have records of the calls and texts but not the transcripts.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. What have the police said? If he abuses her, is she calling the police? Will she testify against him and make a statement to the police? How old is she?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She is 17. She will not testify against him. If I sent you a pic of her your jaw would probably drop. She is that gorgeous. Not my assessment but everyone's that sees her. She has a 4.2 GPA. She's a Varsity Cheerleader. He's an out of work, drop out of college 21 year old and she defends him.
We are looking for the possibility or probability that he is supplying her with drugs. We also think that he was driving and totaled both cars on purpose. He is very destructive. The school told us to take her out and place her somewhere that he couldn't get to her. They believe her life is at stake
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. In order to get a copy of text messages, the cell phone provider is going to need to receive a court order / subpoena ordering them to turn them over. For this to be obtained, either criminal charges need to be filed by the State and they would need to request them or a civil cause of action would need to be filed and the moving party (plaintiff) could ask for them,.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would have to file a civil suit? Because, without those records, we have no hard evidence, accept for the police calls here.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Yes, that is correct. As her guardian, you would need to go after the boyfriend civilly, for damages caused and suffered by her and/or file for a retraining order against him.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.