How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19483
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It's complicated I defaulted on my student loan I got

Customer Question

It's complicated I defaulted on my student loan I got garnished back in 2007 my garnishment ended back in 2012 this year Department of Education garnish my wages again and claim that I owe $5,000 plus additional according to the paperwork the department education sent me I paid the outstanding principal $11,000 over $4,000 in fees and over $24,000 of the original $22,000 demand from Department of Education in 2007 this claim that I according to my attorney if they claim that I still owe fees but according to the paperwork that they sent me I have paid the fees do you have any idea how to deal with the Department of Education my attorney is completely baffled by their inability to answer any reasonable questions thank you
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Oregon I also did not receive the 30-day notice the least they claim that because they sent me a letter in 2007 that it's that the the garnishment is still in effect even though for years ago and it ended this current issue started in May of this year
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes I have an attorney so she is confused and doesn't understand how to deal with the idiots and the Department of Education
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: Right now she does not know what to advise to give me because the department education will not give a satisfactory answer or proof that I actually still owe the debt. Right now we're just still trying to get documentation more documentation from the Department of Education and from my employer. My attorney has contacted the ombudsman's office Department education but they are just as confusing as the regular idiots
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Probably but too complicated for this forum
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My suggestion would be to contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau ("CFPB") and let the agency assist you in resolving the issues with the Department of Education. Click here to file your complaint with CFPB.

Best wishes,

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. That’s the way that I get paid for answering questions on the site. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.