How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27089
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When a Judge does not follow the law in the state of Texas,

Customer Question

When a Judge does not follow the law in the state of Texas, where can I go for assistance.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My Lawyers do not know how he can do this - looking at options right now; wondering what else I can do.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: This Judge is becoming well known for this since he recently took the seat.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.


I do not know what the judge has done, so I can only answer in general. Feel free to reply on this question thread and provide more details if you think it appropriate.

You can have your attorney file a motion to ask the judge to recuse himself on the basis that he's not applying the law correctly/fairly. The difficulty with this course of action is that the person who gets to decide on such a motion is the judge himself. As you may imagine, judges are for the most part incapable of or unwilling to admit on papers that they cannot apply the law fairly as written or that they cannot be impartial. Filing such a motion, therefore, is unlikely to succeed and can further alienate the judge.

Your lawyer may be able to get leave to re-argue issues the judge decided incorrectly. You would need to speak to your lawyer about that. You could also file a complaint with the judiciary committee against the judge to have the judge investigated. Judges have bosses too, and they are held accountable for their actions, just as other employees are. You should not do this, however, without first running it by your lawyer.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.