How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27214
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in a car accident in 1998 in the state of Ohio. I was

Customer Question

I was in a car accident in 1998 in the state of Ohio. I was licensed in Michigan. My license was suspended due to the accident in Ohio, in Michigan. In 1998, I was a college student posed with paying around $3,500 for the accident. I actually paid around $2,000 of that and never finished paying it. I have had a restricted license in the state of Michigan since Year 2000. Does the statue of limitations apply in Ohio to retain a full privileged drivers license in Michigan? The state of Michigan will not issue a full privileged drivers license without the issue cleared in Ohio. This is actually beginning to affect my professional life when it comes to company car rental.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Were you insured at the home? Do you have the money now to pay the balance owed? Do you know who the money is owed to?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I wasn't insured. I could pay the balanced owed but the last time I checked into this matter it was over $6,000. At this point, I do not have $6,000. I could pay $2,000 initially owed. I would have to do some searching to find out the firm handling the case in Ohio. What can I do?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. The reason why I ask is because this could be something that is settled. By that, I mean if money is owed, they may be willing to settle and accept less then the $6000, to resolve this and release the hold on your license. You can then reinstate your license and not have the suspension. This is not something that will just go away but if you can find the firm, you can propose $2000-$3000 in a lump sum payment and see if they will take it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No statue of limitations?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

A judgment has a 10 year SOL but that goes to the collection of it, if someone sues you. Here, while the money is owed, the license will remain suspended/restricted until it is settled. That is the way they get their money.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!