Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can a church restrict hiring of purely lay employees only to

Customer Question
non-members of its denomination thus...
Can a church restrict hiring of purely lay employees only to non-members of its denomination thus effectively discriminating against members of its denomination based on religious beliefs?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/26/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

While Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 normally prohibits any sort of employment discrimination based on sex, race, national origin, or religion, religious organizations are in the exception in that they are allowed to discriminate on the basis of their religion.

This has been expanded from clergy to include administrative and support positions such as janitors, kitchen help, secretaries, and so on.

While normally this is meant to exclude other religions, the reverse (however unusual) may be applied as well in that a religious organization can specifically require/exclude religion in applicants.

As such, the Church can do this.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law