How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117365
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I leased a truck from a company in Cleveland, Oh. I paid my

Customer Question

I leased a truck from a company in Cleveland, Oh. I paid my truck off and they will not give me my title. They never had me sign a lease purchase deal. Also they are saying I owe them for maintenance and I have all maintenance repairs on my truck and I also have all I have all of maintenance records that I paid for. I stopped working for them on Wednesday of this past week. I have the truck in my possession with no title can you help?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: Ohio it's a 2007 peterbilt
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not really
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have all the records in my possession of my truck
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your truck is paid of, they must give you a release within 30 days of the payoff or you can sue them for breach of contract and get the court to order them to not only give you title, but also for any damages and costs you incurred, including attorney's fees, for their breach of contract. If you can prove they are making false claims for payment, then you can also seek punitive damages up to triple your actual damages from them.
At this point, your first step is to file a complaint with the Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit regarding this unfair and deceptive practice and seek their assistance to get the title released. If they cannot get the company to release your title and you have the proof of all the records, then you can sue the company for breach of contract and unfair and deceptive business practices and you can seek your damages and attorney's fees from them.