Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I'm friends with a lady who has rented a shed from a rental

Customer Question

I'm friends with a young lady who has rented a shed from a rental place and she went to jail that people are wanting to come get the shed and the young lady owes me $5,000 the shed company never had my permission to put the shed on my property they put it behind two fences they want to sue me because I would not let them take it after their driver come down here hollering and screaming and cussing at my wife and kids scared my kids I just don't see what I should just allow them to come and get it
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Was the woman a tenant on the property? How long has the shed been there? If they had no permission to install the shed on the property why was it not stopped when delivered?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

I attempted to accept your phone call request and received the following message:
"Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation."

If you can resolve the problem I look forward to speaking with you.

Otherwise, I am happy to continue online with you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Still with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

The short answer is that, no, you do not have to voluntarily allow them entry onto your property to retrieve their shed unless they get a court order.

That would actually be their next step. They would file a petition in the county court seeking an order of replevin. That is an order from the court demanding you allow them to take possession of their property which you are holding.

They would also, presumably, have a claim for breach of contract against the woman, a would you if she were a tenant and had no authority to have the shed installed on your property. If not a tenant, then your claim is for trespass.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No she did not have the authority to have something put on here on my property add I'm trying to figure everything out because I have court in hour and a half and it's very hard to text you to find out anything the people they want to see me I have court in an hour 31 to put the shed here not me I did not approve it I did not tell him to she did when I was at work but she did not have that Authority
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.
As I said, while they are entitled to their property, you do not have to let them come onto your property without a court order. The owners of the shed would need to get a writ of replevin. Once that happens you would have to allow reasonable access for the restoration of the shed to the lawful owner's possession. They would be liable to you for any damage they cause to your property, as would the woman who started all this.
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.