Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I have a federal judgement against me from(3/29/96),

Customer Question

JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: california
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: this judgement will remain in effect until required renewal in 10 years in california. Is this judgement still in effect now?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ca.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: this judgement was renewed about 10 years ago, is it still in effect?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Under federal law, the length of time a judgment is enforceable is determined by the laws of the state in which the case was heard, even though it is in federal court. So, in your case, you'd look to California law to determine how long the judgement is enforceable. In California, a judgment is enforceable for 10 years, with the possibility to extend for another 10 years if the judgment is not collected in the first 10 years. So, the longest a judgment is enforceable is 20 years. Since your case is just over 20 years old, it is no longer enforceable, other than the enforcement actions that began prior to 3/26/16 (20 years from the date of the original judgment).

Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.

Do you have any questions? Is there something else I can help you with?

If I can help you more, feel free to ask follow up questions. If not, please remember "rate" my answer. (that's how I get credit for my work)