How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Oklahoma. I have lived on my moms acre of land in

Customer Question

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I live in Oklahoma. I have lived on my moms acre of land in a mobile home for the past 18 years. The acre was given to my mother at no cost from my grandparents. At the time it was put in my moms name I had lived on it for years. I pay property tax on trailer every year. My mother and I have had a disagreement. She lives in a mobile home on this acre as well. She is telling me I have to move my mobile home and get off her acre. I have lived here for 18 years this month. What are my rights? Do I have to move? Although acre was put in her name it was given to her with the intent of my grandparents for us both to live on it.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?
Customer: Oklahoma. It is 18 years old I bought it and put there in August of 1998.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have not.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. Its a control issue. I have a daughter that is 22 that is giving me hell. I kicked her out and she moved in next door with my mother. This is what caused the issue.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the land is in her name and you lived there with her permission, then she can force you to leave. Even if the intent of the grandparents was for you to have the land, unless they put that in a proper will, there is no way to prove that intent if they are dead.
So, absent a will to the contrary or the property being in your name, I am sorry to say if you cannot resolve this dispute with your mother and she insists you move then legally even if you have lived there 18 years you would have to leave.
You cannot claim squatter's rights because you lived there with her permission and to claim squatter's rights you would have had to live there without her permission.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
My grandmother is still alive. Would that make a difference.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
The issue is once your mom put it in her name only, she owns the land, not your grandmother, so your grandmother lost control and rights over the land, so you are going to have to settle the matter within the family, because if your mom sues in court to evict you from the land, as she is the owner she would win even if your grandmother says she intended you to live there.