How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an eighty two year old Koran war veteran with very

Customer Question

I am an eighty two year old Koran war veteran with very please help me solve a money problem regarding the Maguire medical hospital; they are charging me over four thousand dollars for medicine I do not owe them. they are charging me retroactively for copay I have paid them. and say that they have the right to do this without explaining to me why
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Richmond Virginia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no until I find a way to pay you I do work part time and I am willing to pay what I can afford but first and foremost I don't owe this
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: I am still waiting for your answer David Foster
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: State of Virginia; The city of Richmond; VAMC, HH McGuire VA Medical Center ( 652 ) 1201 Broad Rock Blvd Richmond, VA23248 ACCOUNT Number(###) ###-####0003 31662 Foster
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your first step is to write them a letter informing them you dispute their claim you owe money and attach any proof you have that you paid them what you were supposed to pay. Also, in the letter you need to explain you have financial hardship that prevents you from making any further payments.
If they refuse to cease collection and correct the matter, since you cannot afford an attorney you would need to go to the local legal aid office and they will assist you in filing a suit against the hospital for breach of contract and harassment over an invalid bill and seek to get the court to dismiss the charges and possibly award you money for their improperly trying to collect on the invalid bill.
At this point those are your sole options to pursue this and get it resolved.