Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My son was convicted of murder. It was home invasion and a

Customer Question

My son was convicted of murder. It was home invasion and a HATE crime. Pr. Obama made a law that if the state did not treat a hate crime as such that the
FBI can take over. I need to know the codes for this. The FBI treats me like I am a little nuts. We have PROOF of this with the autopsy photos of the man that my son killed. He was drunk and my daughter-in-law and son was in the house at midnight. My son is Japanese and Irish. The intruder was a white supremacy. Thank you carol yanaga
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The code for hate crimes is 18 USC 249. Also, it is the Matthew Sheppard Act that allows the US Attorney to prosecute a hate crime at their discretion if the defendant was not charged with a hate crime. This is up to the discretion of your US attorney's office as to whether or not to take on the case as a hate crime.