How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27222
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently going through a divorce. My son is 5 and my

Customer Question

Hello - I am currently going through a divorce. My son is 5 and my husband wants to move to another state. My son will remain with me. We have discussed having my son have the opportunity to live with his dad in the future- since we are not doing a 50/50 custody situation now..and it is likely we will never live in the same location. We are working on a coparenting agreement. My husband wants to put language in the agreement that would indicate a required move at the end of 6th grade with him. We both know circumstances could change in the next 7 years, He could be remarried- i could be remarried, we could live elsewhere. Are there any suggested ways of addressing such a switch at the end of 6th grade? and how to we make sure that our sons "wishes" are taken into consideration then considering he will have an opinion, and should be able to express it- but ultimately it should be up to us as parents to decide what is best.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It is hard to anticipate what the future will hold, as you shared above. As such, it would be difficult to say if X, Y and Z, happened then A would result. However, you can put language that if the parents can not agree, informally, that the parties shall be required to attend mediation, in hopes that a third party can step in and help to resolve this. If not, then the parties will be required to proceed through the court and let the Judge decide, knowing that it is impossible to know how the Judge will rule. Yes, you can speak with your son and listen to him but at the end of the day, you and your husband have to agree or the Judge needs to decide.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Do you think he would agree to something like this?

Related Legal Questions