Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was arrested this Saturday night for driving without a

Customer Question
license and using a fake...
I was arrested this Saturday night for driving without a license and using a fake name I I bailed out for $100 140 total 40 of a going to a bail bondsman that fills out the paperwork and I was given a court date of August 16th 2016 which is a Sunday can I beat this case especially seeing how I can't even go into the courthouse to try to straighten it out because closed on Sunday or should I contact a lawyer first thing in the morning or go to the courthouse will I even be on the docket and expecially is this case beautiful if I contact a lawyer or does she just automatically get thrown out
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/22/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

Unfortunately based only on what you posted, I do not see what you are going to "beat this on" (the 16th has already passed (it was a Tuesday), and August 26th is a Friday).

Even if the officer wrote down the wrong appearance date, I would expect the court to be issuing a correction shortly (so if you are hoping to beat the charges simply because the date is wrong (a Sunday court date was entered), I would have a backup plan of hiring an attorney).

Using a false driver's license is the more significant of the two charges that you are going to be concerned about, and you will want a lawyer to represent you for this charge. The reason for this is that not only can this be prosecuted as a misdemeanor (meaning possible jail time), having a conviction for this can have a very detrimental effect when applying for jobs or security clearances (it affects your credibility and character), so having a lawyer that can address these charges aggressively is very important - if there is not a clear defense, they may be able to negotiate a reduced plea, where you plead guilty or no contest to a lesser charge that carries less stigma for you in the future.

But the long term consequences of a conviction definitely warrant retaining a lawyer.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney