Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Would I be arrested if I let my grandchild stay in my home?

Customer Question

Is it illegal for my grandson to run away in Oregon? I have been told by an attorney that they would arrest me if I let my grandson stay in my home, is that true?
He was living with his other grandparents in an abusive situation. He was temporarily placed with me. They then decided that they were going to make him go back to his abusive grandparents. He then ran away. I would like for him to live in my home; that is his wish also.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

I have been told by an attorney that they would arrest me if I let my grandson stay in my home, is that true?

It is true that they could arrest you and charge you. It has been my experience that normally they wouldn't if you simply took in your grandchild when he ran away so long as you didn't lie to the police if they contacted you looking for him, you didn't help him run away, etc.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.