Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My apartment was broken into and all electronics were

Customer Question
stolen. Leasing office never called...
My apartment was broken into and all electronics were stolen. Leasing office never called me but maintenance adjusted lock while on scene with cop. I only knew about break in because of call from cop. I spoke to property manager when I got home, she claim to not know and don't have maintenance as visiting the apartment . She said her weekend staff could have been aware and sent maintenance and forgot to write it down. I told her I did not feel safe,because cop said building door was not broken into but apartment door was. Property manager said she understood and ask to be switched to a new place and was told a listing will be emailed to me. I never got a listing and had to call everyday and was told manager was in a meeting. Called corporate office twice and left a message. Called again and was told she was being switched and another manager was coming. I was also asked to get report again. Cop came again and said the same thing other cop told me while away. Cop even stated door at surface look like a forced entry but person could not have gotten past the besm in side of door and key had to be used or something close. Maintenance appear to be a suspect according to cop
Question:
Can i break the lease because im really scared and can't sleep, even after lock change?
Also is leasing office at fault for some of the loss if maitenance guy is the robber and the leasing office withhheld issues of other robberies on property to me and other tenants ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/20/2016
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, based on my research on this issue this is not a basis to break the lease unless you can prove that the complex had notice of security issues and ignored it. You would have to prove they were grossly negligent. Lawsuits like these can be costly and expensive. You could more likely make a claim against the property management company and the landlord for any negligence on their part on maintaining the building door's integrity. They have insurance for these types of situations so I think there is a good chance you might get compensation. Do you have a renter's insurance policy as well?

If you have any additional questions just let me know otherwise a positive rating would be appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer