How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13481
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of a felony and now and it's affecting my

Customer Question

I was convicted of a felony and now and it's affecting my finding a job or even getting hired what can I do
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: It's in the state of Colorado I was charged what criminal impersonation because I got stopped for a traffic violation and gave my brother's name instead of mine
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: The case is over and done with it's just a fact of my finding a job
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: How do I get expunged recovered from my record Covered ^^
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I look forward to helping you.

Every state is different with respect to the laws regarding the expungement or sealing of criminal records. Unfortunately,in Colorado, it is not usually possible to expunge or "seal" a conviction from your criminal record, even if you have completed your sentence (there are some limited exceptions for possession of controlled substances charges). Indeed, the Colorado Courts website notes that:

In order to qualify to have your criminal record sealed, you must meet one of the following requirements:

You were acquitted;

Your case was dismissed;

You completed a diversion agreement pursuant to C.R.S. § 18-1.3-101;

You have an arrest record, but you were not charged in court and the statute of limitations for the offense for which the you were arrested that has the longest statute of limitations has run; OR

You have an arrest record, but you were not charged in court, the statute of limitations has not run and you are no longer being investigated by law enforcement for commission of the offense.

Additionally, even if you met one of those requirements, all fines, fees and court costs would have to be paid first.

Assuming you don't meet those qualifications, then your only option would be to seek a pardon. A pardon won't seal the record, but it is an act of forgiveness for the crime, and would allow you to tell people that you were pardoned. There is no fee to apply for a pardon. I will tell you that the pardon process can take a long time (given the number of people that apply) and that they are not often granted, and preference would likely be given to those individuals long since removed from any conviction -e.g., people who have completed their sentence and stayed out of trouble for at least 10+ years. Even so, you have nothing to lose by applying. If you click on that link above, and scroll down, you will see the link to the application.

I realize this is not the news you wanted to hear, but I can only tell you what the law provides, and I am sure you appreciate the truth. Telling you anything less would be unfair to you and unethical of me.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!