How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a customer stop payment with a car repair that

Customer Question

I had a customer stop payment with a car repair that followed the motor vehicle repair act in colorado. I will protest in visa and would like to repossess the car until it is paid for. it is at a location that I could pick it up without breaching the peace. I should have a mechanics lien by nature of our performed workproduct. He agreed to the work we did and it does need more. what other step is needed to reposess?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I am not familiar with USCIS
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not at this point, who would I file with
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the customer never contacted us about a problem with the work we estimated and completed. The vehicle is not driveable and was not when we started the project.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

As a general rule, you can't use a mechanic's lien to "repossess" a car in Colorado after the car left the shop/property. While you likely had the right to assert a mechanic's lien, the courts don't allow you to "self help" by grabbing a car from someone else's property. The reason for this is that there are too many ways that things can go wrong.

You can sue and ask the court to allow you to keep the car until paid and that would take care of the problem. If you use a lawyer then you can sue for the attorney's fees as well.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Business Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.