How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested for domestic assault in December 2015 because

Customer Question

I was arrested for domestic assault in December 2015 because a stranger saw something and understood something that was not accurate. Anyway my wife and I went through complete legal process and finally charges were dropped to noise disturbance. But when I was coming from international trip in July I was restrained at the immigration at the airport for questioning they said this was done because I had a record that popped when scanned my passport.
I am international immigrant and was wonder how could effect me in regards ***** ***** visa application and green card application in the future?
How will it effect my application for a new job? As they perform a criminal background check.
Is there a way I can expunge the record?
Please let me know what I can do to make things easier for me in the future.
Thank you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.


This is Samuel. I suggest, that you might want to call the clerk of the court where the charge was downgraded and make sure it is not appearing as a Domestic Violence charge. If it is a DV charge on your record, it could affect your green card and you would want to have that removed from your record. It also will appear in background checks. So if you were not convicted of the DV assault and it was downgraded to a noise disturbance, you need to have any reflection of the DV in the court records expunged.

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Here is a link to the Michigan law which explains the expungment process and you might want to consider consulting with a local attorney to assist you

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

If I've missed anything that you needed or you have other questions, please let me know here. Otherwise, a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time.