Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My son was given an "notice to appear" by a Sarasota SO. The

Customer Question
My son was given an...
My son was given an "notice to appear" by a Sarasota SO. The code is 893.13(6)B. His mandatory appearance is set for today at 9:00am. I just was informed of this. He is 18. This is his 1st offence. What should we do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/18/2016
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear this; a Notice to Appear is authorized by Rule 3.125:

RULE 3.125. NOTICE TO APPEAR (a) Definition. Unless indicated otherwise, notice to appear means a written order issued by a law enforcement officer in lieu of physical arrest requiring a person accused of violating the law to appear in a designated court or governmental office at a specified date and time.

Here is the statute at issue:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0800-0899/0893/Sections/0893.13.html

It is important to contact an attorney to have them meet you at the court. For first offenders, the attorney can help negotiate a pre trial diversion program so that there is no conviction. Many prosecutors are willing to negotiate but it is best to have an attorney negotiate for the defendant.

The attorney will meet with the prosecutor and attempt to plea bargain the case to either a lesser charge, or they will examine the evidence and determine if the charge can be defeated at trial.

An attorney can be located here:

http://www.sarasotabar.com/?page=findanattorney

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer