Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in Colorado and work for Company X. Company X is

Customer Question
I live in Colorado and...
I live in Colorado and work for Company X. Company X is interested in buying an Over/Under Shotgun for Company Y to be gifted to Company Y's skeet shooting team or to a specific employee of Company Y. Company Y is located in Avon Minnesota. My method of transaction/transportation of this shotgun would be to purchase from an FFL in Colorado with a company credit card under my name. I would then declare the shotgun (locked in a case) on an airplane as checked luggage. I would fly on this airplane to Minnesota and hand-deliver the shotgun to said specific employee of Company Y. What legal aspects should I be aware of and how should it effect or change my proposed methods?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/17/2016
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

My suggestion would be to order it in Minnesota and have it delivered. You do not want to be caught at any point with a gun that yoi do not own or that you do not have a license for.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have owned several firearms and am unfamiliar with every having to have a "license" for them in the state of Colorado.

True but here you are taking it to another state. I do not believe you intend to register them in your name.

I did some research about Minnesota law and there are restrictions on possession of certain types of guns. http://gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/minnesota-gun-laws

I always advise a client to take the most cautious approach.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this gun would be a break barrel 2 shot only shotgun for skeet shooting (target/competition) or pheasant hunting (sporting). I would pass the background check here in Colorado and purchase the shotgun under my name. I spoke with the police department and they told me I would not be breaking any laws to simply gift the shotgun over to an individual. If I wanted to, I could draft a letter detailing the exchange and sign it along with the person I am gifting it to but that wouldn't be necessary to be compliant with the law - it would only provide a paper trail. Does this all jive?

That does make perfect sense but Minnesota allows for hunting type guns only be carried in areas designated for such so that is a potential issue. And going through the airport their security may overreact not knowing the situation or the applicable laws.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer