How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nishan Parlakian Your Own Question
Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian,
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56
Experience:  Principal at Consumer Law Office of Nishan Parlakian, Esq.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Nishan Parlakian is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Maryland. Someone in Ohio owes me money. How do I

Customer Question

I live in Maryland. Someone in Ohio owes me money. How do I file a small claim suit in Ohio without flying to Ohio and going to the courthouse ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Nishan Parlakian replied 1 year ago.

Hello George, sorry for the trouble you are having. Let me ask you did the transaction occur in Maryland or Ohio? If in Maryland yo might be able to sue under "the long arm statute". This would allow you to obtain jurisdiction over the individual in your locale. It is difficult to invoke though for small claims issues involving an individual. Usually on a debt owed by a person you do have to sue locally. It sounds like it is not worth hiring an attorney who could file the papers for you. Another way to begin the lawsuit is to determine if you can get the filing papers from the court and start the process by mail. Some courts allow this. You would still need to show up for the court date. However, you can hire an attorney per diem to appear for you for about $150. Try contacting attorneys on demand. They might have a solution for you that does not require a large amount of money on your end. Let me know what you think and if I can answer any other follow up questions. Sean