How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33547
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just got letter in mail stating that default judgement

Customer Question

Just got letter in mail stating that default judgement hearing will be Tuesday in NY for judgement filed in 2009 in CA. The papers servers to me last october were filed in march of 2015 and i did not get them until later October and they were sent to several people with my name and different addresses and had wrong spelling of plaintiff , Is this the same judgement or are these attorneys acting like credit collectors? I live in PA , do not own property or have the money to cover a 690k judgement? Do i need to get a NY attorney or one here in PA?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

It sounds as if they are trying to domesticate a California judgment to be able to attach property or garnish accounts you may have in NY.

If you have no accounts no accounts or property in NY then it should not really impact you.

If you are insolvent and have no assets you may want to consider seeking bankruptcy protection. You could discharge the debt completely and make a fresh start.