How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

From Binghamton, NY. I am a 55 year old Disabled American

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** from Binghamton, NY.
I am a 55 year old Disabled American Veteran.
My drivers license permit application was denied this morning by NY State DMV.
I am very sorry to say I don't have a good driving history.
I have 5 DWI's on my record.
- being disabled
- not on a city bus route
- on a fixed income
- unable to afford cab fares
- unable to get to my medical appointments
I experience an extreme hardship without a drivers license.
(DMV says I can appeal their denial if I can prove a true hardship exists)
Can you please help me, or make a recommendation on how to proceed?
Thank You very much.
***** ***** ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Mark, good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. As you are aware, applicants with five or more alcohol/drugged-driving related convictions or incidents on their lifetime driving record will be permanently denied a driver license, unless there are compelling or extenuating circumstances. In this case, those "circumstances" which you are going to need to present and show are direct things which effect your livelihood. By that, I mean if you can not get to doctors appointments. If you can not get to the store to buy food. Both of these as there being no easily accessible bus or train by your home and that you can not physically walk to such locations. Moreover, that your income does not afford you the chance to take a cab or other mode of transportation and that as a result, you could suffer serious harm or death. After all, if you need to see your doctor for treatment, you need to get there. You also need food to eat. In this case, when you appeal, you want to present documentation and evidence to show where you live in relation to the bus or train and who the distance. Moreover, get a letter from your doctor, advising of your disability. This can also show that there is a need to see them on a monthly or weekly basis.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.