How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received an offer for some land i own in nys. The offer

Customer Question

I received an offer for some land i own in nys. The offer was for about ne twenty of the value of the property. The over came with papers to sign etc.
The low offer and the papers to sign kind of lite of red lights for me. On the internet I found that this company often finds rural property the apears abndon and forgies signaures on the offer papersand then does a quick claim deed.
Should I write a letter to the recorder of deeds in the count the property is locted and say I willo never sell to this company?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

You can write to the Recorder's Office and notify them that you are concerned about potential fraud regarding this entity and your property - but unfortunately, there isn't a specific procedure to go about protecting yourself from what might happen.

At this point in time all that has occurred is that you have received documents offering to purchase your property.

What you can do is send back correspondence to them notifying them that you are in receipt of their offer and that you reject the unsolicited offer. (If you fear that they may be trying to obtain your signature, you do not need to actually sign the document).

If you think that this is a very high threat (you say you have done some research on this company and they appear to have actually forged names, etc.) you can retain a local attorney for the sole purpose of responding to reject their offer - all you are paying for is for them to write a letter (from a law firm) rejecting their unsolicited offer. This can go a long way towards stopping this kind of conduct because you no longer will appear as an easy target for them. Most local attorneys will only charge a nominal fee for this kind of service and some may be willing to do so for free.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
WELL, ok they already have my signature fromthe deed. Can I use an attorney in Florida?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you can. You do not require an attorney in Florida to respond to them (all you really need is a little bit of leverage to show that you are on top of your property management and ownership rights, and that they need to go elsewhere if they hope to get easy title to someone's property).