LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I lost a civil suite against me through default. I am in

Customer Question

I lost a civil suite against me through default. I am in poor health andn have no income but social security.can they take my ss. /
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about your health and what you are going through. No, they should not be able to go after your social security. When a collector sues you for the debt and wins a judgment, it can ask your bank or credit union to turn over money from your account. This is called a garnishment. Banks must automatically protect Social Security and VA benefits from garnishment if they are direct deposited into your account. Social Security and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) can be garnished to pay government debts such as back taxes or federal student loans, and debts for child or spousal support. Here is also a link to the Social Security website, advising of the same. https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/rulings/oasi/41/SSR79-04-oasi-41.html

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!