How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Tracy California. I have been living with a

Customer Question

I live in Tracy California. I have been living with a domestic partner for over a year. When I returned home yesterday, she had moved out and took ALL of my possessions with her. I notified the police they said there was nothing they could do. They contacted the other party by phone and the officer was told that the items took we purchased jointly. Which was not true and I have receipts to show that they were purchased by me. How can I recover legally?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear this;

Is this a registered domestic partnership (some people use the term to refer to an informal relationship) and would one be seeking to dissolve it?

If so, when was it registered (5 years or less)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no not registered.. just living together man and woman.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

I am not set up for phone calls at the moment; if you want to pose a new question-put telephone request in front of it (I believe the site has a button for that specific service) and request a spanish speaker - I believe there are some on site (or at least I have seen questions written in spanish that get picked up).

When hiring an attorney, you can link to here for a referral- if you use the phone referral, they should be able to recommend a bilingual attorney:

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry - my respond did not go through.