Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a suspicious that my alarm monitoring contract was

Customer Question
Hello, I have a suspicious...
Hello, I have a suspicious that my alarm monitoring contract was altered after i signed it.
I can see white out was used and overwriting numbers. I don't have original. Is there anything i can do? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/16/2016
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

I am sorry to read about this.

Have you contacted the company about the unauthorized changes?

Why were you not given a copy of the original contract?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was signed 2013. I can not find it

Thank you for the information.

Have you contacted the company about your concerns?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are asking for original.

Well, they should have the original contract.

What exactly are you disputing?

I am signing off. So, I will opt out and let another Attorney to further assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i want to cancel to cantract
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor had to leave.
The issue is in a contract dispute is that the party alleging breach or alteration of the contract has the burden to prove the contract was altered. If you cannot find your copy of the contract, but the copy the company has was altered and has white out on it and does not have your initials by the changes, that would be the basis for your argument that the contract was altered after you signed and you did not agree to those changes. It is not as strong an argument as if you had your copy of the contract to show the differences, but it does raise doubt as to the legitimacy of the contract with white out and not bearing your initials next to those changes. So if they disagree about the contract being altered, you would have to sue for breach of contract to bring the matter into court and prove that the changes in the contract were not authorized by you, as you did not initial those white out areas and have the court rule on the validity.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney