How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116706
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a suspicious that my alarm monitoring contract was

Customer Question

Hello, I have a suspicious that my alarm monitoring contract was altered after i signed it.
I can see white out was used and overwriting numbers. I don't have original. Is there anything i can do? Thanks
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

I am sorry to read about this.

Have you contacted the company about the unauthorized changes?

Why were you not given a copy of the original contract?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it was signed 2013. I can not find it
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the information.

Have you contacted the company about your concerns?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They are asking for original.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Well, they should have the original contract.

What exactly are you disputing?

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I am signing off. So, I will opt out and let another Attorney to further assist you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i want to cancel to cantract
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor had to leave.
The issue is in a contract dispute is that the party alleging breach or alteration of the contract has the burden to prove the contract was altered. If you cannot find your copy of the contract, but the copy the company has was altered and has white out on it and does not have your initials by the changes, that would be the basis for your argument that the contract was altered after you signed and you did not agree to those changes. It is not as strong an argument as if you had your copy of the contract to show the differences, but it does raise doubt as to the legitimacy of the contract with white out and not bearing your initials next to those changes. So if they disagree about the contract being altered, you would have to sue for breach of contract to bring the matter into court and prove that the changes in the contract were not authorized by you, as you did not initial those white out areas and have the court rule on the validity.