Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I recently attended a medical appointment at mayo clinic. I

Customer Question
I recently attended a medical...
I recently attended a medical appointment at mayo clinic. I was uncomfortable with one of the clinical assistants employed in that department, and notified a patient liason. they had the person removed. this person then disclosed my attendance at this appointment as grounds for a harassment restraining order. i was served with this hro as the respondent. now it is on file for anybody to research at the county courthouse, even when I get it dismissed at the hearing regarding the hro. can I Sue mayo clinic for allowing their employees to disclose this information?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/16/2016
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

This is very troubling. Yes you do appear to have a strong claim for the breach of privacy. Hipaa itself does not give rise to a lawsuit right but most states recognize a right to privacy.

If you have any additional questions just let me know otherwise a positive rating would be appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer