Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I spoke with you earlier in the week and really appreciated

Customer Question
Hi! I spoke with you...
Hi! I spoke with you earlier in the week and really appreciated your advice. I have an a question regarding a different matter. Since I'm a working actress, I need my public records to remain offline. No matter how many different sites I opt out of, my address etc keep popping up on different sites. Is there a way to get a court order?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/15/2016
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Yes, hi Tina....

Can you please give me an example of what type of public record you are speaking of and on what types of sites it appears on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It appears I managed to hide the one that was concerning me. However, sites like radaris don't take my information off. I had to sign up for the site.The specific website that had me concerned had my name, current address, age and what they believed to be my phone number. That site as well did not allow me to opt out. But, as I've mentioned, it appears I was able to hide it.I'm looking for a solution to stop this from happening in the future. It's quite difficult to keep up with these websites. I've even tried using someone else's address in order to avoid this information being leaked.A site vaguely discussed getting a court order. I've attached the information I read to this reply.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh, the site I'm referring to, is ZABASEARCH
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it appears I managed to block my whole address from being viewed, but it still shows some information.

Tina:

I am having trouble viewing these attachments for some reason. Can you please send them to me by email at***@******.***. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the delay. I've been traveling.

That's okay, take your time...

Generally, to answer your question about court orders to seal records, it usually applies to sealing certain court matters or case files so that those papers filed in the case are not open to the public or to public information collected by service providers such as ZABA. Here is the CA law regarding sealing of court records.

Tina:

I am not sure if you saw this but ZABA has this method for opting out:

As a courtesy we can 'opt out' your specific information from the ZabaSearch People Search service. What this means is that your name as it appears in a particular record and the associated identifying information such as your address and phone number will be suppressed if you request this in the manner described below. However, please note that any time your identifying information appears in a public record in a manner which is different from the record you opted out, it will again appear in our system. (For example, if your address or area code changes your new information will again appear unless you opt out the new record.) There also are many other public records search services which are not owned by ZabaSearch and your request that we opt out your information will not prevent your information from appearing on these other services.

In order for ZabaSearch to "opt out" your public information from being viewable on the ZabaSearch website, we need to verify your identity and require faxed proof of identity. Proof of identity can be a state issued ID card or driver's license. If you are faxing a copy of your driver's license, cross out the photo and the driver's license number. We only need to see the name, address and date of birth. We will only use this information to process your opt out request. Please fax to(###) ###-####and allow 4 to 6 weeks to process your request.

Each individual that wishes to be opted out of ZabaSearch must be accompanied by proof of identity and address. We will only be processing opt out requests we receive by fax and no request will be processed without complete information. Requests for opt out will not be processed over the phone or via email.

- See more at: http://www.zabasearch.com/block_records/#sthash.x0BhUfNH.dpuf

MORE TO COME....

On the issue of sealing court records, if you have any that need to be sealed, then you must meet the following standards and file a motion/petition to seal records:

The court may order that a record be filed under seal only if it expressly finds facts that establish:

(1)There exists an overriding interest that overcomes the right of public access to the record;

(2)The overriding interest supports sealing the record;

(3)A substantial probability exists that the overriding interest will be prejudiced if the record is not sealed;

(4)The proposed sealing is narrowly tailored; and

(5)No less restrictive means exist to achieve the overriding interest.

For example, certain criminal records are sealed by a similar process called expungment.

MORE TO COME...

Another option is to use a service like this one to remove personal information. Here is another. Please know that there may be others that do this as well. I don't know anything about these two as I just found them on the web.

More to come...

The final option that may be possible is to sue a publisher that is not removing your personal information under the theory that it is disclosing private facts that have public benefit of being published. But, this will not typically apply to general information about you such as name, age, location of residence.

I hope this helps clear things up....

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney