Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My mother is in a rehab facility and she contracted MRSA.

Customer Question
The facility still wants to...
My mother is in a rehab facility and she contracted MRSA. The facility still wants to discharge her even though she will not be done with the treatment for MRSA. Is this legal for them to do? I do not feel comfortable bringing her into my home when she has this infection as I do not want to pass it to myself or my children. I thought they would keep her there until she completes her treatment and then her test comes back negative.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/15/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

MRSA is so common that they don't hold people in hospitals now to clear it up. It's common for the hospitals to release them with instructions as to what to do and then schedule appointments in the future.

So, the short answer is yes, it is legal for them to discharge her.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney