Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

What is a good letter template for an unemployment appeal in

Customer Question

What is a good letter template for an unemployment appeal in the State of Georgia?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. Can you please tell me why your benefits were denied? Also at you on a first appeal?

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Are you seeking an in person or telephone hearing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, at this juncture I need to appeal the denial of the unemployment insurance by stating why I obviously disagree with their rationale. However, I am going to request an in person hearing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The determination letter states that I violated company policy by not informing them of a motor vehicle accident that occurred in the company vehicle which is untrue. I spoke to a supervisor the evening of the accident and when I returned to the office, I told them again about it. I also sent a text message confirming a conversation about the accident.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Let me draft something you can work from and I will respond here shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Keep in mind, if you are going to request an in person hearing, then you must advise the Appeals Tribunal by email, fax or mail immediately. The email address is***@******.***. The fax number is(###) ###-#### The mailing address is

GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF LABOR

148 ***** ***** INTERNATIONAL BLVD NE

STE 525

UI APPEALS TRIBUNAL

ATLANTA, GA###-##-####

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to the GA statute for your review. And I am preparing the template for you.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

And it states in the statute:

(2) (a). The decision to schedule an in person hearing will be based on

1) the location of the parties,

2) the complexity of the case, and

3) other pertinent factors. When you request an in person hearing, this may delay the date of the hearing. Also, the party requesting an in person hearing must travel to the hearing location nearest the other party or closest to both parties.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Routinely since 2014, the first level appeals are done via phone. So they can deny your in person hearing. Also keep in mind that making the In person request will delay your hearing date.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You have 15 days to file your appeal. But you need to let them know immediately that you will be filing and requesting an in person hearing.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

And so in your letter, you can simply say

GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF LABOR

148 ***** ***** INTERNATIONAL BLVD NE

STE 525

UI APPEALS TRIBUNAL

ATLANTA, GA###-##-####br />
Re: In person appeal for NAME and any CASE NUMBER ***** HAVE

To Whom It May Concern:

I am requesting an in person appeal on the above-referenced matter. In your letter of denial dated WHATEVER IT IS, it is explained that my benefits were denied because I:

1 - Violated company policy by not informing them of a motor vehicle accident that occurred in the company vehicle.

This is simply not the truth. I have evidence and can present testimony by witnesses to show that the basis for the denial is unjustified. This evidence includes:

1 - Begin listing your evidence - for example - On the day of the accident, I spoke to Supervisor NAME

2 - The following day, I again discussed this with Supervisor NAME

3 - Supervisor NAME told me whatever he said would happen next.

In addition to the testimony of Supervisor NAME, I will present the following:

1 - A text message confirming a conversation about the accident

I SUGGEST, you should begin to gather the documents or other evidence necessary to present your case as soon as you know that an appeal has been filed. Prepare all evidence that supports your position, including any documents previously submitted to GDOL.

A copy of relevant documents from the claim file will be mailed to you with the Notice of Appeal Filing.

Although you cannot read your testimony at the hearing, you may want to make notes to help you remember important facts.

The hearing officer cannot accept any evidence after the hearing is conducted. The hearing officer will only take evidence that is relevant and necessary to decide the case.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

If I've missed anything that you needed or you have other questions, please let me know here. Otherwise, a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have decided to forego an in person hearing, and have a telephone one. In addition to the letter stating my rationale for an appeal, can I include a narrative stating what exactly happened that refutes their claim of me not informing them of the accident?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you. Yes, you can include a narrative. And also have a copy for your reference.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You can put in the part of why you are refuting to SEE ATTACHED NARRATIVE. And on the NARRATIVE be sure to put your name, case number *****

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Or you can type the narrative as part of the letter under why you are refuting. Whatever is more comfortable for you.