Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I SOLD MY HOUSE IN 5 DAYS, SETTLEMENT TO BE Friday JULY 1ST,

Customer Question
THE HOUSE I BOUGHT SETTLEMENT...
I SOLD MY HOUSE IN 5 DAYS, SETTLEMENT TO BE Friday JULY 1ST, THE HOUSE I BOUGHT SETTLEMENT WAS MONDAY JUNE 27TH. MOVERS WERE TO COME TO MY HOUSE THE NEXT DAY, AND UNFORTUNATELY THEIR TRUCK BROKE DOWN ND HE DID NOT GET HERE TO THURSDAY 6/30, WHICH WAS NOT ENOUGH TIME TO FINISH THE MOVING. I AM 82 YEARS OLD WITH A AD HEART, I JUST LOST MY HUSBAND IN JANUARY. HAD TO SELL MY HOME AS DID NO LONGER HVE THE INCOIME COMING IN. oN FRIFDAY JULY1, WHEN MY REALTOR AND THE OTHER PEOPLE AND THEIR RELTOR CAME, THEY DECIDED the family, since,the daughter had a moving truck, that they would move me for $75o. I was such a nervouce wreck, but I agreed to this and the money was taken out of the settletment fee. my realtor instructed the other realtor not to give the check to the daughter UNTIL all my stuff was delivered . She did not do tht she gave her the check right away. The truck was packed y noon, on July 2nd, I lived 1-15 miles away. I did not received m items until 11: A.M on July 5th, little by little I started discoverering things missing, which I have A LIsT OF and continue to add to
when I asked the mother where my stuff was she told me they thru it out and I said I did not pay you $750. to throw my stuff away. The STATE POLICE AT THE FOGELSVILLE, PA., TOLD ME THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO. mY EX NEIGHBOR WHO LIVED BEHIND ME SAID SHE SAW THEM BRING BAG AFTER BAG OUT THE BACK DOOR, AND EHAT THEY DID WENT OUT THE FRONT DOOR IN THE TRUCK. DID I MENTION THAT THE DAUGHTER IS ALSO AND AUCTIONER, AND THE REALTOR FROM REMAX, ELIX KLEIN, REFUSED TO ANSWER OUR PHONE CALLS. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/14/2016
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Good afternoon. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband and then what you had to go through, with these people. Just to be clear, they simply threw your personal belongings away that they were supposed to move? When confronted, what did they say?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

they would not answer our phone calls, I even called the manager at Remax and she listened to me story ND THEN SSHE SAID WELL SHE WOULD HAVE TO TALK TO HER SAES PERSON AND THEY NEVER GOT ACK TO ME

Thank you for the reply and I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. This is the first time I have heard of a moving company throwing out the personal property of a customer/client. Not to mention, these people were buying your home, which makes the situation all the more strange. With that being said, you would 100% have grounds to sue them for damages, as a result of them throwing away your property. If they are a legitimate moving company, they should have insurance, so you can file a claim. If they refuse to cooperate and make you whole, then you can file a civil cause of action against them. In a situation like this, if you have evidence to show and support they threw your stuff away, the Judge could impose punitive damages, to punish them for such gross misconduct.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY PUINITIVE DAMAGES.,I HAVE LOTS OF EVIDENCE AND Y REALTOR WAS THERE AT THE SAME TIME AND WITNESSES MY PROPERTY STILL THERE

Those are damages exceeding simple compensation and awarded to punish the defendant. In this case, the court may consider it as you said that they were actually throwing your stuff out, instead of moving it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

LegalKnowledge, Attorney