TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I live in a nice residential area with families and many

Customer Question

I live in a nice residential area with families and many children. The house down the street has signs posted that they have attack dogs, guns, and they will kill you if you enter their property. It makes me very uncomfortable and I worry for my children if their dogs ever got out. Please advise.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it legal to live in an area with families and children with guns and attack dogs?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.

Q: Is it legal to live in an area with families and children with guns and attack dogs?

A: Yes, unfortunately that is legal. The Second Amendment to the US Constitution permits people to own guns. Moreover, the law does not restrict owning attack dogs. Finally, the posting of signs that they own guns and attack dogs and will kill is also legal. Now, having said that, if they do shoot people or if their dogs bite people, then they may be legally liable for any injuries, depending on the circumstances. If somebody breaks into their home at 3 a.m., then they'd likely be justified to shoot or to allow their dogs to attack. On the hand, if a child were to hit a baseball into their yard, and he climbs their fence to get it, then shooting or allowing their dogs to attack would not be justified. In that second scenario, they could be sued, and also be charged criminally. My suggestion would be to simply stay away from them, and to teach your kids to stay away from them.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!