How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a senior independent apartment, my question is

Customer Question

I live in a senior independent apartment, my question is there is a club house for everyones use along with where the u.s. mail is delivered to. We have many residences who have walkers and wheel chairs. On the front door there is the (push to enter) the plate where you push to open does not work. People with wheelchairs have to wait until someone comes along to open for them. When asked why it was inoperable, management said to expensive to fix. This is a complex that is subsided by federal funds. Please advise the laws regarding this. Thank you *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The Americans with Disabilities Act, ADA, is the law that says they have to provide handicapped access to The accommodations. If they are not providing such handicapped access, then your recourse is to start by filing a complaint to the local housing authority office and to the state attorney general and seek their assistance. Typically they will resolve the issue, but if not your local office of elderly affairs can usually provide an attorney to sue them for violation of the ADA and seek damages and a court order for them to make the repairs and grant the access required by law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your answer, that certainly let's us know where to start to help the elders that are handicapped.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to click on positive feedback as the experts are not employees of this site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.