How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boat was impounded for parking on the street in front of

Customer Question

my boat was impounded for parking on the street in front of my house. the tow company didn't secure the trailer correct and now my boat and trailer are I screwed?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.


This is Samuel. If you cannot transport the boat then see if you can get on site estimates. The towing company may tow the boat if in violation, but they must not be negligent in the process. And so if their negligence caused the damage, they are liable. Requesting 3 estimates is not out of the ordinary and is generally what is required for them to settle.

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

And if the boat is still there because they damaged the trailer and you cannot move it, then you want to be sure they agree to not charging you storage fees because you cannot have it removed from impound. And that until you get the estimates, they agree on the settlement to repair, you cannot have it removed.

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

So count your impound fees into any settlement you agree to.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, I just got off phone with owner, she is going to charge 45$/ day until it's moved starting today, so I need to find a lawyer now I suppose? What kind of lawyer would I get? And who should I see about boat damage appraisals?
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. I suggest you can consider consulting with a local civil litigation attorney. And as to boat damage appraisals, the attorney should be able to help you with that. I suggest if you have a marina nearby, they can point you in the right direction.
You can use the Washington Bar Association for a legal referral service. Here is link to locate the Bar Association in your county for the legal referral service.

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

I looked at your attached images. I am sorry you are experiencing this matter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much for the info!!!
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome. I hope this is resolved quickly for you. Good luck.