Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a 61 year old male who is, & has been for some time,

Customer Question
retired on disability. I get...
I am a 61 year old male who is, & has been for some time, retired on disability. I get a 100% disability pension from the VA, & another disability check from Social Security. I recently came into some money from an inheritance. My question is: If I invest some of that inheritance money in the stock market, will my social security be decreased? I am pretty sure that my VA money will not be affected.
Thank you,
David O Dixon ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/12/2016
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon David,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Fortunately, inheriting money or receiving money as a gift does not have any effect on your continuing eligibility for social security disability (SSDI).

Likewise, the only kind of income that will cause you problems with SSDI eligibility is income that you earn from work. If you take assets that you already own---such as an inheritance---and invest that money in something like the stock market or a rental property, then all the income from that investment is deemed passive income, because you are not working to earn the income. And so you investment income is all passive income and again, will not effect your SSDI benefits in any wat what-so-ever.

Your VA benefits will not be effected by passive income either. You are good to go my friend.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Hi David,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney