ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Our church liability carrier made the following statement.

Customer Question

Our church liability carrier made the following statement . Please keep your "vulnerable" populations (children, elderly, disabled) separate from the homeless at all times given most homeless, but not all, have serious mental health issues which can be unpredictable and thus place vulnerable individuals at risk.
Can they make a statement like "most homeless"
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes, they can. Homelessness is not a "suspect" classification that anti-discrimination laws apply to, so they can make such a statement and discriminate based upon such a factor. There's nothing in the law that would prevent them from discriminating based upon such a criterion, and when the law is silent, such an action is legal. It might be immoral, unethical, illogical, and just "wrong", but not illegal.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★).

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I'm still waiting for your rating...